Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Baby Food

So I got brave and decided to try making homemade baby food. For a couple bucks - about $3, I can feed Callin for a couple weeks!! (As opposed to the $0.50 jars two times a day he normally goes through.) While it is definitely the cheaper method, it did take about 2 hours to steam, puree, and get the veggies ready for the freezer. Hopefully next time will be much quicker now that I know what I am doing!
Here are the finished cubes of yams, carrots, and butternut squash. I almost think they are too beautiful to eat!
Click here for some good tips and recipes if you are in the baby food stage of your life.
PS. Thanks Paola for my produce!

13 comments:

Karen said...

I know quite a few mothers in my ward who have done this. I wasn't that adventurous. I do think that the pros for homemade baby food are pretty enticing though. Maybe for the next baby...Ethan's eating our food now, so I don't have to buy the baby food anymore. YAY!

Ie Li said...

Annie! It's been so long. I'm so glad we're facebook friends now. Callin is darling. I didn't make baby food for Mei Li when she was a baby, but I should try it for little Stephen when he starts eating baby food. I'll be sure to consult you first.

Tina said...

Wow, ambitious. My sisters have done this and I contemplated trying it when Madi was on baby foods. Well, I took the easy way out and just bought it. Props to you though. Very impressive and I'm sure Callin will love it!

Summer Jensen said...

Wow! What a great idea! Hey, I removed my blog from being private...Terran ended up being the perverted guy leaving comments on our family blog to play a joke on me. Anyway, our blog is terranandsums@blogspot.com.

Alisa said...

Hey Annie! I made all my baby's food when she was in the puree stage and saved a TON of money. You can toss frozen fruit cubes in smoothies as well. It does take a while to prepare but once it's done you're set for a while. :-)

-Alisa (Barnes)

Trina said...

wow, super mom!! I was never that ambitious. Good for you.

Krista Griffiths said...

you are awesome! might have to have you teach me sometime! i can't believe we have not hung out yet! how lame are we! life is so crazy! we should for sure in march sometime!!!

Stephen + Lauren Reber said...

Yes, I agree, ambitious. I don't know if I could keep it up; although, i just have to cheer on anyone who does!

Galo Fab 5 said...

Oooo, way to go. I made carrots for Lucas one time and he wouldn't eat them. I ended up throwing them all away after trying multiple times to feed them to him. Good luck! I hope Callin likes them after all that hard work!

akdoxey said...

Very Cool- how does he like them?

Emily said...

I loved making food for Bailey when she was little. I kept doing it well into her first year, making cube meals with rice and pasta. With some good planning ahead you will be set and save lots of money.

Browns said...

That is such a good idea. And it is ncie that you are dfoing alot at one time because you probably wont be thrilled to do it again.,. I saw that you guys are leaning toward Baylor?? Was he accepted there? Drew is looking into their Oral Surgery program. It would be nice to know someone whre we went next!

Erin said...

What a good idea! I want you to teach me when my baby starts eating real food.