Thursday, March 15, 2012

"But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo"

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo.
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo.

But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.  Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

-Ruth Hulburt Hamilton



I especially love the last verse of that poem. 
Our life has been filled with so much joy (and zero cleaning! and plenty of hullaballo!) having sweet little Ollie around. 
We are trying to drink up every moment.   

10 comments:

Tricia said...

I LOVE that poem!

Thanks!

Sydney said...

That is a beautiful poem. I love these pictures of your sweet baby boy.

Merry said...

What a sweet post! And what a sweet baby!

Loni said...

Those pictures are gorgeous! Who took them?

akdoxey said...

Congrats on your baby! Doug and I LOVED every bit of your story...amazing!

TyandMar said...

I've never heard that poem! SO SO darling. Ah, he's so adorable. We tried calling the other night...one of these nights we'll get in touch...in the meantime, keep rocking that sweet little dude!

Glen & Kat said...

Such precious pictures! And I love the poem too, thanks for sharing.

jenster said...

You and your baby are gorgeous. I love the pictures and the stories. Good for you girl, you're always doing something crazy. :). So happy for you and your match as well. Too bad we don't live closer. Enjoy that little baby! So jealous. Mine just makes me vomit and delivery seems like a eternity. All the best, Jenny Groberg

Brent & Emily Slade said...

That made me tear up. So precious!

Raeanna said...

I love this poem!!! Wow!! Thanks for the reminder, trying to get it all done is overwhelming and I definitely need to do more of the enjoying and holding of these two little girls!