Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A scary story

I took one day of self defense my sophomore year at BYU.  I have a broken wood board and pictures of a grossly bruised elbow to prove it.  Last night I got to put my skills to test again- in a real life setting.  I had just "closed up shop," which means the downstairs was finally clean, picked up, all three doors locked, and all lights out.  Then I go live upstairs for the remainder of the night.  I start by checking on my sleeping boys, turning off lights behind me and make my way to my bed to read for a bit. After I turned off the lights I found myself in the pitch dark.  Not a big deal.  I know the path from Rhett's room to my room quite well in the dark from the many nightly feedings.  On this occasion though there was a man waiting for me as I passed by the laundry room.  He did happen to be the man that I am officially married to, but rarely see and don't really even remember he is home.  But boy did he get a surprise.  I am not really the "ahh help me" kind.  Instead I am the "hit the man as hard as I possibly can" kind.  And I did.  And he is just lucky that the huge red mark I made was on his stomach.  I will have to work on my aim- just in case it is a real attack I want to be prepared. (And be warned, I learned that hitting "rock hard abs" is going to do some major damage to your hand.)  But seriously who wouldn't be scared of this guy:

(Dougiefresh Halloween '07)

And just so I don't send you off to bed with bad dreams I will tell you another scary bedtime story about someone much cuter.  This chubbers: 
He is now the owner of two Asthma inhalers.  : (
  (I had to air out his fat rolls today.  They are totally raw and red because they never get any fresh air.)  

7 comments:

TyandMar said...

Thanks for giving me a LOL moment. I loved picturing you smacking Doug in the dark!! Hope he's ok. :)
Asthma?! Poor little guy. He sure is adorable though.

ty and megs said...

i so remember that broken board! thanks for the laugh, although you had me scared for you for a min!

bdub said...

Oh that sounds like him. He used to always scare me when I would come down the stairs. I should have given him a little whack as well :)

Al and Jenny said...

Ha ha ha! This is hilarious! Sounds like you can definitely take care of yourself ;)

Rhett is so adorable! Sad about the asthma though. Poor little guy!

Chase & Tricia said...

That is a fantastic story! You are much more brave than I am...but we already knew that because I come to spend the night when my husband is gone right??? Anyway, sounds like that self-defense class gave you a lot of confidence! Way to be!

Peterson Family said...

Oh, I am so sorry about the asthma issues... that is no fun at all. I have asthma and I am hoping that I didn't pass it on to Weston... we have to have him on a nebulizer EVERY time he even catches the slightest cough. It always goes straight to his lungs.

Your little boy sure is growing quickly and he's ADORABLE!!

PS You, Emily, and your MIL did a nice job on the bathroom, it looks great!! :)

Kim said...

Wow! That is quite the story! I hope ADouger survived the trauma!

As for Rhett, what a little doll! He is SO cute! I'm sorry about his asthma. I have "Pregnancy Induced Asthma" and it has been a lovely treat--NOT! Poor little fella!