Monday, March 22, 2010

Five Minutes Peace

Every mother should own this delightful children's book.  Mrs. Large desperately needs a five minute break from motherhood (unheard of, right?), but is loyally followed around everywhere she goes by her three adoring children. Callin is my equivalent to three elephant children.  I do not choose to have a 2 year old in the shower with me, but since he insists on being my second shadow it happens most of the time.  However, the days of us showering together are dwindling fast (and not because he is getting a little too observant.) I like the hot water to be pouring on me.  He likes the hot water to be pouring on him.  He has somehow learned to do a really good body slam to get me out of the way.  And yesterday he was not afraid to do it again and again.

The toilet is another place where I would rather be left alone.  If my every move and action isn't being interrupted by the little shadow than someone else will surely interrupt these quiet moments... The douger has been going to medical school for almost 2 years now.  I like to woo him with my practical medical knowledge every now and then.  He never believes me when I say, "I already knew that," but it's true, as the daughter of Mother Healer herself, I did mostly already know that. Anyway, I was enjoying a "private moment" and perusing through the latest edition of Martha Stewart (thanks Lauren- I am loving my subscription!) when I hear Rhett do a little choke-cough thing in the other room.  He is with his Dad- the medical student.  I keep on at what I am doing... until I am interrupted by the douger who shoves/drops our little guy into my lap, "He's choking!"  My frist thought was, Emergency Medicine is probablly not the path for Doug.  But don't worry, Rhett was actually all done coughing and was just "quietly breathing" so much that it appeared that he wasn't breathing at all.  I guess he really does trust my medical intuition.    
 
And while we're at it, lets give all mothers who just want five little minutes of peace a moment of silence.

9 comments:

Rob, Michelle, Luke & Harper said...

Great stories! Very endearing and so funny.

Erin said...

The interaction between you and Doug has always made me laugh! I couldn't help but get a little giggle out of him not thinking that you knew the medical lingo and you insisting that you did. You guys are hilarious!

James & Tara Huish said...

I'm still laughing. Really hard:)
Know, that you are not alone with the shower companions. Wait till you get to try to share the hot water with 2 little hoggers:)

James & Tara Huish said...

Oh, and that's NOT including Douglas;)

Jessica Speed said...

You are so funny. I fortunately do not have the problem of sharing the shower, and I no longer have little ones in the bathroom when it's my turn to go. But I still would like five minutes of peace! :)

Kim said...

I think once we become mothers there is no such thing as peace, right? At least that's how it is at our house. Also, for the record, just because a baby is crying, doesn't mean they are hungry!! Sorry, I got a little carried away.

Paola said...

You guys are hilarious. Loved the comments here. I don't take showers anymore. Hence, nobody showers WITH me. Just kidding...but am I really?

BTW Who the heck is that 1st person who commented? What the...?

anna said...

So funny. I ask Clarke medical questions all the time (granted they are usually complicated) and he says I don't know. So last night I was looking at my leg and said "I think I have a varicose vein. Do you know what that is Clarke?" he gave me a dirty look and said of course. Good thing they still have some more medical school ahead of them :) and maybe pediatrics is not the right place for Doug either :) just two more days of internal medicine. Hang in there :)

Lizzie said...

I love that book and was just telling someone about it recently. I now realize when my Mom was handing it to me to go read it to myself she was probably trying to get her very own 5 minutes peace!