Friday, September 16, 2011

Smoot's in Texas!

We had so much fun hosting Doug's grandparents, parents, and twin brother & his wife.
We celebrated Grandma's birthday, had a great train ride and tour of the medical center, and a yummy lunch in between the many sewing projects that always happen when Mom Lewis comes to town!
 Then the BEST part of the whole weekend... we left the kids behind (entrusted to my wonderful and amazing friends I love!) and met up with Doug's sister and her husband in Austin for 2 days.  We thoroughly enjoyed the Blue Bell factory...and I guess the BYU game was pretty fun too. :)  
 The next day was 9/11 and we lucked out by visiting the State Capital and getting to enjoy the neatest bagpipe tribute to the local policemen.  Beautiful!
Of course we had to hit up the top rated Zagat restaurants and see (or more like hear) the famous bat cave.  It was so fun to spent time as couples and as adults.  To be ME for a couple days...not the mother part of me.  Sometimes I don't have time or energy left at the end of the day to remember that I actually like the Douger.  He really is a really fun guy.      
 We were lucky to get an extra day with Ben and Paige.  We headed down to Galveston for the afternoon for a beautiful day! Ben tried hard to win Rhett over and make him believe he was Daddy.  :)


3 comments:

Loni said...

I'm so glad you got to spend some good quality time with your in-law family! Isn't Austin cool? We loved the capital, bats and the Blue Bell factory when we got to see them. And isn't being away from the kids wonderful? I find it difficult to know what to do with myself when I'm away though, since everything I do is kid-related. :) Glad you had fun!

Leslee said...

So Sean looked at this post and later told me "Wow Doug looks a lot like his brother!" Apparently he didn't know he was a twin. I think it is pretty obvious seeing how they are identical:) Looks like lots of fun activities.

Merry said...

Wow, the State Capitol is beautiful! I hope you had a fun time with fam!