Being a mother is definitely the most rewarding 'hat' I have worn. I think it has to do with the fact that you can't take it off- ever...For instance just TODAY I was a mom at 12:04am when the humidifier was too loud and the blaring green light was scary. I was a mom at 2:30am when a little foot got caught in the crib bars (I have been meaning to sew on the missing ties for over a month now and get the bumper back up.) I was a mom at 4:00pm when Callin terrorized my preschool room pulling all the stapled things off the wall. I was a mom at 5:30pm when I discovered something brown oozing its way up my sons back all over his shirt. I was a mom at 6:00pm when Callin pulled off half of the keys off of the computer. (Daily occurance.) I know you are all thinking I am not the best mom you have heard of by now...But on a more positive note I was proud to be a mom at 3:15 pm when Callin helped me sweep up the pine needles on the sidewalk. Or at 6:45pm when Callin found a Pass Along Card with a picture of Christ on it and said, "Je-ze" for the first time. Or at 7:30pm when I sat with Cal and he actually let me snuggle him in the rocking chair for 30 minutes singing songs, reading Good Night Moon for the 10th time today.
Some of you have heard about Callin's recent "swim" in the lake. After discovering he was missing from the park, I found my little guy floating face UP as still as can be in a near by lake. We have not a doubt in the world that he was not alone in that lake. Since then, I have treasured ALL my motherhood moments- whether they be tiring, stinky, or hectic. I am so grateful that Callin has guardian angels who attend to him all through out the day and night. I am so grateful to have the most amazing opportunity to be a mother. Callin is such a gem! There couldn't be a happier mother! I am extremly grateful for the joys of motherhood and for my precious son!
17 comments:
That was definitely a tear jerker Annie! I hadn't heard the story of Callin in the lake, just that there had been a scare. It's just amazing that miracles happen. It would be devistating to lose such a sweet little boy. Reading this sure made me realize how good we have it as moms and how much happiness motherhood can bring us as we rejoice in the everyday happenings. Ellie is starting to recognize me more and wants ME to hold her. I'll be honest, I love it. I know it may get frustrating at times to have to constantly be holding her, but it's so flattering at the same time to be wanted so badly. I feel so blessed to be a mother. There's no greater calling.
Annie, your mom is so beautiful :) I cannot wait to meet your parents at some point. Motherhood is exhausting, amazing, overwhelming, rewarding, demanding, sweet, fun, crazy and wonderful all at the same time. You are a great mom. And it sounds like you learned from the best.
What a great post Annie- I really needed that today to remind me of the joys of motherhood, even on the really hard days! That's exciting that you guys get to go to Mozambique for Christmas! I'm sure your parents are thrilled that this will be their last Christmas away from home. I heard the story of Callin in the lake not too long ago and just couldn't believe it. The first thought that entered my mind was that there was definitely an angel with him- no other explanation!
Annie, my school teacher roommate told me that in some of her training to become a teacher they talked about how you should coach kids to turn onto their backs if they ever realize that they're in water and that they can't swim. I don't want to discount the miracle that happened here, but I was just wondering if Callin's had much experience in the water or if you've done anything like that with him to train him. If you have, I still feel like this is a miracle. He's not even 1 1/2! I'm sure that he had some guardian angels watching over him. He must be one special little guy!
Oh my goodness, that is scary, you guys didn't tell us about that!! I'm so glad he's ok. You are such a good mom and always have been a shining example for me! I wouldn't have had a natural childbirth if it wasn't for you!! And yes, contrary to what Tyler thinks, I do want to do it again! :) (He just doesn't want to have to coach me for hours on end with intense lower back rubs...maybe you need to talk to him!!) Anyways, that's so fun that Christian and Kim may go down there with you guys! How cool would that be?! We are definitely jealous of all the many couples who get to spend lots of time with you guys. We really do miss you tons.
I am so glad that Callin is okay. What a scary thing to experience!! Super cute post about mothers though! And how fun will your Christmas trip be! That is awesome! Speaking of mothering...Jackson turned 1 yesterday. So fun! And...baby #2 coming in June. We are excited!
holy cow, annie. thanks for that - it's what I needed to hear today about motherhood.
Tears....tears are streaming down. One of the greatest blessings I have is being here in Pearland with mothers who love being mothers and do such a good job at it. The Lord knew I needed these kinds of friends to prepare me for my most important work. Thank you for the beautiful post.
Callin is the sweetest and Angels were protecting him - what a testimony builder for all of us.
Annie, you sound like one amazing mother. What a sweet little boy you have. What a blessing to find your Cal safe and sound. This post is a great reminder to me to treasure each "motherhood moment". For as one poem goes, "I'm rocking my baby, cause babies don't keep."-Amber
I love your parents! I'm so excited that you get to go back to Mozambique for Christmas! That's going to be so great to be with your folks for the holiday. If you remember, tell them hi for me. Thanks for a great post. I can't wait to be a mother and I love reading things like this that say, yeah, it's tough, but so rewarding at the same time. Love you!
Seeing that picture of your Mom made me miss her SOOO bad! I am very "Cindy" homesick these days. The good thing, is that you are almost the EXACT replica (which is the best compliment EVER!) so that definitely helps make up for not being able to see her.
I loved that post. Every time I see a picture of Callin, I pause and thank Heavenly Father. Truly a miracle.
Love you!
Tara
What a beautiful post. I have no doubt that you are an AMAZING mother! Your Mom is an angel & Mother to so many. I admire you both so much.
I LOVE Callin and his parents! I'm so glad Callin and Shep (my son) get to hang-out once a week. When they're together, they make me grateful I don't have twins. :) I'm also extremely grateful you Lewis' live in our ward. You are such a blessing!
Enjoy a preschool-free week!
Hey guys, this is Kim, Christian's wife. How have you guys been? How are you liking TX? Callin is so cute. I would have flipped if I saw lincoln in the water like that. Hope all is well.
Hey!
I am going private with my blog, so email me your email address so I can invite you to look at it!
meri@landmarkexcavating.com
Wow, I am so sorry to hear about Callin's lake experience. That is so scary and no doubt he was being watched over and protected. Being a mother is challenging, and I think the MOST challenging are the 'what if' moments that test/break your Mommy heart the most. You have a special little one, and what a good Mom you are! :)
Wow, what a scary experience! I'm so glad Callin is well. It is hard some days, but so important, to realize how wonderful it really is to be a mom.
Post a Comment